Thursday, August 8, 2024

Patriotic wisdom of ages                                                                  



I grew up in the '60s and '70s. Decades before, my grandfather, Charles Russell, had served in Iowa's National Guard. A dated 8x10 of him, posed and in uniform, was propped in a prominent spot in the simple home he made with my grandmother, Myrt.

As a pre-teen and together with siblings, I spent many weekends visiting my grandparents. And I can still see that honored photograph. 

As the regrettable hippie revolution sprawled, I fell victim to its siren call of unAmericanism. Drunk on youthfulness and clumsy loyalty to an ideology I didn't really understand, I sometimes challenged my grandfather on weighty matters.

He was by then a member of Marshalltown's Legion of Guardsmen chapter. To his credit, he never grew annoyed while countering my silliness. He probably was amused by the know-it-all attitude of a youngster who hadn't yet circled the block.

That was the time of "America: Love It Or Leave It" bumperstickers, and Merle Haggard singing: "We still wave Old Glory down at the courthouse" in "Okie From Muskogee." 

I joined the 'in' crowd by adopting adversarial postures despite my tenuous grasp of important topics. I didn't even know that I knew little. But being a psychedelic mutineer seemed great fun to a lack-witted juvenile who'd never worked for a paycheck.

I later realized one can spend the first part of their life trying to change everything, but for rest of their days they'll wish everything hadn't changed. 

It is true that some things must be rectified in order that the U.S. can become the "more perfect union" the founders envisioned in the Constitution's preamble. The historic document they wisely crafted makes imperative improvement possible. That is part of its genius. 

It was popular pressure from the 1960s Civil Rights movement led by the Rev. Martin Luther King that forced politicians to ensure equal justice under law. That was a positive stride. And the earlier grassroots demand for women's enfranchisement also produced betterment.

But it is crucial for neophytes to grasp that many cultural and political phenomena were already sound when they entered the room. Only a callow radical would argue absolutely everything merits razing. 

- Once, office-holders were expected to prioritize American economic and other interests over those of foreign nations. 

- Once, citizens weren't divided into "communities." We were united. Americans without hyphens. 

- Once, men were men, and women were women. That was how God created us. Rational people understood and accepted that.

- Once, all babies were welcomed by intact families and loved.

- And it wasn't too many years ago that regular, hard-working people could easily afford gas to reach their jobs and put decent meals on the family table.

When Donald Trump, still bandaged after he'd survived an attempted assassination, rose on the July Republican convention stage, he declared in a stentorian tone: "Just like our ancestors, we must now come together, rise above past differences. Any disagreements have to be put aside, and go forward united as one people, one nation, pledging allegiance to one great, beautiful -- I think it's so beautiful -- American flag."

My grandfather surely understood love of country when he sat for that 8x10. I do now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Counter</