Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Mismanaged saintliness recalled

When I was in my twenties, I was possessed of good intentions. I opposed racial and other forms of bigotry, understanding them to be plainly immoral as well as inimical to the democratic ideal. 

Unfortunately, my energies weren't always tempered by logic, reasonableness, or common sense. This led to me suspecting innocent people of untoward attitudes, and challenging them to account for misapprehended statements and actions. 

I was, I've since realized, pretty much a jerk to be around. My principles were fine enough, but I ruined what could have been noble by being chip-on-shoulder unpleasant to many who did not deserve it.

In my mind, concepts like tolerance and nondiscrimination belonged to me. I was the supreme judge of all around me. And to disagree with me, even if only by degrees, earned harsh and undue labels.

I still hold firm to those sterling, anti-bigotry principles, but today hope I'm wiser and more judicious.

The good news is, time and life experience made me more sensible. The bad news is, they may not do that for everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Counter</