Monday, August 13, 2018

My name now appears on political 'List of the Damned'





I just got a greater understanding, and on a personal level, of ideological opponents' impulse to sling unwarranted slurs in place of considered arguments.  

Iowa's Waterloo Courier newspaper on Monday published a guest column of mine: "Times' Jeong and Dems' anti-police passion." In it, I decried liberals' enthusiasm for illegal immigration, stated personal convictions, and offered praise for law enforcement officers. I also quoted President Trump on those subjects.

"Law enforcement agencies like ICE are necessary components of civilized, democratic societies," I argued. "They uphold statutes enacted by officials whom citizens elect. Our voices are heard through this process...Ours is not an anarchic nation in which everyone picks the laws they'll honor, ignoring others as persuasions dictate."

Basically, mine was a textbook recitation of the sort civics class students once understood. (That is, when schools had civics classes.) Certainly, nothing radical or controversial.

But within hours of the newspaper posting my guest column online, an anonymous commenter essentially compared me to a Nazi ("SEIG!"). And he/she termed me a "fascist" who was merely parroting the president.

Of course, exploiting those concepts to attack Americans of conventional, traditional beliefs minimizes their enormity, inhumanity, and unique loathsomeness.

I found it odd, being falsely criticized for lacking individual perspective by an effectively masked miscreant who flung brickbats and not reasoned arguments in drive-by manner. But such seems the sorry condition of political messaging from some quarters.

Vile epithets like those misapplied to me have been lodged at voices of greater repute, including Tucker Carlson, Milo, Alex Jones, most everyone at Breitbart, and even President Trump.

I now find myself on that same political-bigotry inspired 'List of the Damned.' 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Counter</